Top 5 Tricep Exercises for Women
Tired of tricep dips? Here are 5 other exercises that will help you sculpt the back of your arm and get rid of the bat wings.
Best Tricep Exercises for Women (and also for men!)
How many reps and sets?
I’d recommend 3 sets of at least 3 of these exercises, twice a week.
If you’re a beginner, stay in the 12-15 rep range. If your current goal is to build strength, challenge yourself with heavier resistance but stay within the 6-10 rep range.
1. Cable push down. I love cable exercises and this one is my absolute favourite. You can use an angled bar or a rope. Keep your upper arms close to your torso and push the bar down. Hold the position and squeeze your triceps.
If you’re using a rope, hold the ends of the rope (just above the knots) then extend your arms and spread the rope out.
2. Cable bent over tricep extension. Turn away from the pulley, bend over and put one foot in front of the other if it helps you stay stable. Hold the ends of the rope and extend your forearms in front of you (not above your head).
3. Overhead triceps extension with dumbbell. Keep your arms close to your ears as you bend your elbows behind your head. Engaging your abs will help you keep a straight back. I like to stand for this exercises but you can also sit on a bench.
4. Skull crusher. For some reason I used to find this exercise scary. Even the name sounds rather terrifying. If you’re not comfortable, ask someone to spot you and start with small weights. Lie on a bench and hold the barbell up over your head. Bend your elbows without moving your upper arms (and stop before crushing your forehead). Easy!
5. Single arm kick back with dumbbells. Hold the weight in one hand and pull your elbow up to torso level. Extend your forearm behind you then lower it down. The key is to keep the upper arm against your body to really make your triceps work.
If you need any help with tricep exercises or anything else feel free to email me at email@example.com :)